Behind The Brand: Shilpi Chhotray, Samudra Skin & Sea
- Your products are 100% plant-based is that correct? How do you ensure the potency/effectiveness of your products from order to shipment to end of use because many think plant-based products expire quicker.
Yes, our products are handmade in small batches with organic, plant-based ingredients that may vary from product to product. Without chemical preservatives, like parabens, the shelf life of beauty natural and organic beauty products shortens. We choose not use synthetics, fragrances or dyes to ensure freshness and effectiveness, plus it’s safer for our bodies and for the planet. Our Clay Mask, which is a powder formula, has a 9 month indicator mark, meaning it’s best to use by 9 months after opening.
- Masking is a major component of any regular skincare routine or professional treatment. What's Samudra Skin and Sea's approach to creating a regular skincare routine for the everyday woman who works a 9 to 5, serves her family as a homemaker or secures the bag as a full-time entrepreneur?
As an entrepreneur and full time plastic pollution activist (for the Break Free From Plastic global movement), I often forget about my own needs because I’m so focused on my work and usually exhausted by the end of the day. I find that so many women in our community are also working long hours and balancing multiple priorities, and have to be super intentional about carving out time for self-care. This is where Samudra comes in. We have a less is more mentality when it comes to skincare, and use clean and healthy ingredients to address pesky skin concerns, like dry and sensitive skin. Personally, my skin is on the drier side and eczema-prone, and when I’m stressed out, it gets even drier! Samudra’s skin care regimen allows us to take time to connect with ourselves, through our 4 plant-based products (Clay Mask, Body Butter, Face Cream, Sea Soap for hair and body) that are quick and effective to use. We wanted to be intentional about creating products that are both healthy for our skin and for our planet, and operate in a “buy less and buy well” mentality.
- On your website, it states "Using the Samudra Clay Mask is truly a personal experience with Mother Earth's primordial healing powers." Can you take us deeper into this truth to help us understand how this clay mask heals/improves the skin?
Our Clay Mask helps to detoxify the skin, while providing hydrating and oil absorption benefits for a brighter and more confident glow. Our powder formula composed of only 4 ingredients can be mixed with water, coconut oil, honey, or any mixing agent of your choice depending on your skin type. Samudra’s Clay Mask includes:
- Activated charcoal which draws out impurities and absorbs excess oils that are on the surface of the skin, helping to soothe and reduce excess shine.
- Nutrient-rich wild seaweed, our hero ingredient, feeds the skin with Vitamins A, B, D, and E. It also works to clear skin impurities, fight acne, and targets excessive dryness.
- Bentonite clay, which draws out water and oil from the skin, makes pores appear smaller.
- Finally, colloidal oatmeal, which is incredible for hydrating by attracting moisture to the skin and locking it in to form a protective barrier.
Our 50ml Clay Mask can be used more than 20+ times avoiding the use of multiple products and packaging. The glass jar and bamboo lid is a beautifully designed to repurpose and reuse, avoiding more waste from ending up in our environment or landfilled.
- #LoveYourselfMore is the mantra by which the Love Yours Tribe lives because we truly believe that putting yourself first is imperative to wholly loving yourself and others. How do you love yourself more on a regular basis?
In addition to the benefits of plant-based skincare, Samudra encourages us to slow down and approach wellness at a holistic level. I find that using our products coupled with a healthier lifestyle yields the best results. Whether it’s steeping your favorite tea and making time to sip slowly, cooking for you and your loved ones with seasonal and plant-based ingredients, or carving out space for that evening yoga class, it’s important to be gentle and kind to yourself. Our Clay Mask is part of my favorite weekly self-care ritual which includes running a warm bath and lighting candles to unwind.
- As a woman-owned, socially conscious brand, share how others, especially those who live in landlocked areas, can work to conserve the ocean and it's flora and fauna.
No matter where you are on the planet, what we eat, the products and packaging we consume, and how we take care of our local watersheds, streams and creeks, all lead downstream to the ocean. When it comes to plastic pollution, every decision to choose sustainable alternatives can have positive impacts on the ocean and the entire planet.
Here are three important plastic pollution facts you may not know:
- Only 9% of plastic waste has been recycled since the 1950’s. Furthermore, wealthier nations like the US, Europe, and Canada ship their waste to countries in South East Asia where it’s often dumped and openly burned. Low value, single use plastic has no business being produced in the first place since it’s wreaking havoc on our environment and communities around the world.
- Skipping the straw isn’t enough to solve the plastic pollution crisis. Cities and states need to move towards proactive legislation to ban all single use plastics (including cutlery, bags and bottles).
- Be careful with companies promoting “bioplastic” materials because plastic by nature cannot break down. It’s your usual run of the mill plastic treated with chemical additives that can supposedly break down faster, but scientists find there is no difference.
For more information visit: www.breakfreefromplastic.org @breakfreefromplastic
- The New Year is upon us, are there any expansion plans or new products on the horizon for Samudra Skin and Sea?
We will be announcing a few major partnerships around our vision for a zero-waste future in the new year, stay tuned!